If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you. -- Winnie the Pooh
Total Pageviews
Friday, July 28, 2006
Out Of Space - Photo Storage Options?
My external harddrive is now full with digital pictures. It is my only copy and I am thinking I should copy them off to CD (two copies) and store one locally and one in the safe deposit box. I also would like to catalog them some how and start printing and scrapbooking my favorites. Anyone have a good method or any suggestions for safely storing digital photos? I had read that you should chose archival quality CD's for photo storage and to not put sticky labels on them. I am a bit nervous thinking I will depend on getting the photos from CD and worry I might someday find the CD's have been corrupted or something. Any input?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Print!!! How many people do you know that actually keep their negatives in proper reprinting condition? Nobody that I've ever met! Just print the ones you want to scrapbook, or even print some and just put them in a photo safe album...until you are ready to scrap them of course, but as for the rest of them just copy them to CD and hope for the best. Chances are slim that you will go back in 30 or more years (when the normal CD's will degrade and the info will be unavailable) and want a particular photo...if you didn't print it the first time and it's not in your scrapbook, there's a good chance that it isn't all that important to you. So...copy them all to duplicate CD's, print the ones you want to scrap and cross your fingers! Good luck!! :) Hint...pass on your scrapbooks to your favorite child!!!
Printing them is nice, of course, but Sue is talking about when she gets to be an old fogey like..well, no names come to mind. I kind of agree with Mrs. R. It won't hurt to burn them to CD. I think you should read the old CD discs and reburn them each time you get a new system. That way, you know they can still be read, plus you renew the storage means for another 4-5 years. Maybe some day, you'll use the CD-replacement technology, whatever it is. One other alternative, get a hard disk and keep all of them, including music, on it. Then, keep it somewhere for when you are ready to add to it or read from it.
Well, I bought a network hard drive and I LOVE it! I hung it off the router and I can see if from the desktop PC and from my wireless laptop when I have it up at home. I have been moving files to it to free up space on the other drives and the computer is running faster now. I just need to establish a back to the new device.
Post a Comment