No, not Nevada. Envy. Possibly the most popluar deadly sin these days. People seem to compare themselves to others and what they have, or what they make or how they are outdoing the other, instead of trying to impress someone with how much happier you are in your life. Recently, I have been hearing songs about this and sometimes it seems to fit how I think every day about what I have. But, the lyrics for these songs get me to thinking if we are truly thankful for what we have or are we destined to go through life trying to keep up with the "Jones'". Here are lyrics from "Lucky Man" by Montgomery Gentry whereas he realizes this very fact. This one gets stuck in my head all the time (though I know I am a Lucky "Wo"Man):
I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the sun's too hot
I look around at what everyone has
And I forget about all I've got
But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old trucks still running good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven,
a good woman's loving
And one more day to be my little kid's dad
Lord, knows I'm a lucky man
Then there is the one by Kenny Chesney in which he is happy with what he has:
One Sunday I listened to the preacher
and I knew he was preaching to me
I couldn't help it I walked up front
and I got down on my knees
Right then and there I swear
I changed when I found the Lord
Glory Hallelujah Good God Almighty
I never wanted nothing more
no i never wanted nothing more
Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
and I'm sure happy with what I've got
I live to love and laugh a lot
and that's all I need
I never wanted nothing more
and I never wanted nothing more
Well, I am pretty blessed to have what I have and to be who I am and have the people in my life that I have. It just seems we get side tracked today with "things" and I kind of wish I had less in many ways. I guess whether we have more than we need or we need more that we have, we should be happy. I don't think we are here to win a contest of a accumulation, anyway.
1 comment:
It certainly IS easy to covet things or people's lives. And it has apparently been that way throughout man's history, as evidenced by the 10 Commandments. Still, we do need to watch ourselves and our own attitudes. I know that I can easily lose focus on what is important.
So, I am glad you have found ways to bring you back to your own blessings. I don't know those songs, but I have some of my own.
Post a Comment