I finished reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to Kaylin on Thursday. Some of those sentances are pretty long, but it still made sense to her. Friday night, we started with Call of the Wild, but it is way too difficult for her to comprehend...or for me to read. One or the other :). For example:
"Civilized, he could have died for a moral consideration, say the defence of Judge Miller's riding-whip; but the completeness of his decivilization was not evidenced by his ability to flee from the defence of a moral consideration and so save his hide" (p.28).
So, I have to stop after every paragraph and say, "okay... that means....yada, yada". It is a little gorry, too. I just remember loving the movie as a young kid. Regardless, I put down Call of the Wild and started A Little Princess which is going quite well, so far. I figured I might as well read her classics if she will listen. Anybody know of any good classics for an 9 year old? Is Little Women too old for her? What about Anne of Green Gables or A Secret Garden? Any help or suggestions on this would be great.
3 comments:
A certain frist grade teacher I know has a couple of suggestions. First, while it may be a very quick read, you might check out the Bunnicula books by James Howe. Her children really liked them. Secondly, the Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder are fairly good for that age. And check out the lists like http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/26ZODKB0YZBQ5 on Amazon for other suggestions.
Yeah, Anne of Greene Gables would be good. Little Women might be too advanced of a story line for her yet. I was reading books like THe Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and the Nancy Drew novels...which although a little different from modern language, really helped my vocabulary!! I have about 30 if she needs to borrow some. :)
CJ!! Great to hear from you. Do you have a blog? Please do set one up and at least post some picts of William!! Let me know what your URL is when you are ready!!
Post a Comment